We are having a leisurely morning/early afternoon. At 3:00, we will go to the National Transport Museum. It is near the airport and from the description on their website, it seems like it will be an enjoyable outing. We are looking forward to getting out today.
The plan for tomorrow is to go to the mountains and enjoy a meal in a restaurant. The scenery should be very nice. Yes, the drive might be interesting. We'll try not to eat right before we get in the van!
Other than that, another couple from the USA arrived. They are from Kentucky and are very nice. It has been nice visiting with them. They adopted a 9 month old son. Our favorite Norwegian family got "Sentencia"/ finalization and will be leaving on Monday for Bogota to finish their process.
We have been doing Bible reading, Bible memory, games with Spanish/English words and keeping score - English speakers have to know the Spanish and Spanish speakers have to know the English words.
A little side note here is that I am really glad I packed so many different kinds of flash cards. They give us all something productive to do together (or on our own) - something to talk about - a way to stretch our minds by learning more vocabulary. Now there are other things I wish I had packed and I do have regrets. Somehow we packed up without very many books. We have paper but are going through it fast - should have brought more! Pens - brought a new package of 12 pens and none of them work! Pencils - didn't bring enough - but thankfully brought sharpeners. Erasers - didn't bring any extra and really wish I did! Pencil erasers are down to the nub - especially for Ladi who works on intricate pictures each day. So glad I packed colored pencils for the older girls. The younger children brought the twist up crayons which are an ingenious invention! I am very glad I brought stickers - they have come in handy. I packed a composition notebook for each of the children and those are getting much use - I sure hope they last the whole trip. In hindsight, I would have brought MORE mosquito repellent. We ran out of the main can we were using for the rest of the family yesterday and believe it or not, the stuff they sell here in the stores is a joke compared to the ferocious mosquitoes. We will have to go to the store and find some more.
We have been working on mastering Spanish numbers 1 - 100 (which has been extremely helpful for Scripture reading together) and during our wonderful quiet rest times, in addition to reading, the children have been working on writing about their day, writing out the memory verses in both languages, drawing pictures, enjoying other activities, etc. We are trying to make the most out of the time here. We have a little family joke "eat, brush teeth, eat brush teeth, eat brush teeth..." That is what it often feels like since meals are pretty much what our family schedule revolves around. We go and eat and then we come back up to our rooms and brush our teeth. Days are long and the days are short too. Hard to describe.
2 comments:
Great to be reminded of what to bring. I have been making a list!
Sounds like you have had some great adventures so far with crazy mountain driving/riding, hungry bugs, daily adventures as a new family of 7. We are so excited and happy for you and the girls!! We had the pleasure of meeting you at a CHI reunion before you had kids and the following years after you were blessed with them. The weather is always a mystery since one never knows exactly when you might experience a down pour! It is so hard to describe since it is so many things rolled into one. We miss the beautiful flowers, scenery, smells and the people. Thanks so much for sharing! We will continue to pray for a smooth transition and developing a new normal in the Armstrong family.
Take care,
Tammy & Brad Rikli from NE
Post a Comment