Tuesday, January 29, 2008

FAMILIA ARMSTRONG: 2 WEEKS TOGETHER!

It has been TWO WEEKS TOGETHER already!!! Wow!!! We would like to do something to celebrate together today but not sure exactly what that will be yet.

The kids seem very happy and secure with us and for that we are quite thankful. So often, they have a look of peace on their little faces . . . like Anji laying in bed with her arms propped behind her head with a humungous smile because she is able to rest knowing well that we love her and that we always will - (yes, she tells us that she knows this!) Claudia does this sort of thing as well - with a smile that can light up a whole room! Andres also is very happy. He smiles and laughs and likes to go into hysterics when we play peek-a-boo and says "Mama/Papa" when we say "Hijo/Son" over & over. In just two weeks, we have grown so very much. We are very blessed as new parents and adore these children that God has entrusted to us.

Last night, the other family went to bed much earlier than our family so we had to quiet play in our bedroom. We were concerned that the kids would be too loud but thankfully they maintained normal voices for the most part. They had a blast playing with duplo blocks and emptied the bin to make a "bathtub" - it was hilarious! Anji was make-believe "washing" Andres & Claudia and then also gave them "haircuts" too. It was sweet! I took some photos of their creative play!

The past couple of nights, I have been soaking my bite-covered feet in warm water with espom salts and it has made a huge difference! The swelling has gone down and I am no longer waking up in the middle of the night itching and am itching much less in general. This is such a relief! So make a note, if you are going to adopt from Colombia, do yourself a favor and pack some epsom salts!!!

While I am on the topic of other things we are so glad we brought: we purchased a plastic folding child's potty seat that sits on top of the other big seat and it has been a life-saver. Our B&B does not have much specialized for young children (believe it or not) and this item has been a life-saver! We also are so thankful we brought a little fork/spoon set for Andres (thanks Beth & Eric!) because it is all he uses, the B&B only has regular size utensils! The kids' bibs we have received as gifts are another huge help - all three kids wear them and they have SAVED so many outfits. Andres' pocket is usually FULL of food and liquids after each meal! It has kept the girls' outfits from stickiness & stains too.

Lastly, we are very excited that we will be able to enter body-building contests from all the muscles we are developing from lifting and carrying the kids! :) he he he

8 comments:

Whitney said...

Love the body building comment! The hair cuts are adorable...praying for you all!

Lisa said...

Happy 2 week Anniversary! Maybe you could locate candles and sing "Happy Family to Us" ("Feliz Familia a Nosotros"?... on the other hand maybe that won't work too well) to the birthday tune?!

Enjoy your three little blessings- they are beautiful!

Cheryl said...

Praying for you every day!!! I can feel your pain, sister. I finally started spraying my sheets at night in Uganda with 100% DEET!!!
Yikes!!! Your children are all as beautiful as you two!!! Can't wait till you bring them home.

WE LOVE YOU!!!!! Paul & Cheryl

Beth said...

It's good to hear a smile back in your voices. God has blessed you with 3 treasures, it just takes some time to adjust. Glad your bites are feeling better. It's hard to believe it has been two weeks already. The rest of your time will go by quickly and you will be on your way back home. Beth

Kenny said...

Karl and Julie, sorry it took so long to look at the website.

I am so happy for you both! Karl please don't get too big I like being the biggest guy in the office! LOL!

Jer, Kari, Alayna-Maria said...

We are enjoying reading about your experience in Colombia. My wife and I returned in July 2007 from a five-week stay in Bucaramanga adopting our daughter. I'm reliving some of those recent moments as I look at your photos. At the end of five weeks, we were so homesick and tired of hotel living (no B&Bs in Bucara) that leaving was very welcome, but we definitely miss Colombia now, so soak up all you can. The stories will last a lifetime. Your children are beautiful and appear full of life. Congratulations on making it this far. Our blog is www.podolskifamilyjourney.blogspot.com if you want to see Bucaramanga or a glimpse of what awaits you when you return home. We are still posting regularly as we get in trouble with family and friends if we don't! Jeremy Podolski

Debbie said...

Thanks to Whitney, I've been able to follow along on your journey. Your children are adorable and I'm so happy to hear that you are surviving all the ups and downs of parenthood. It's very encouraging for me to read as we may travel down the sibling adoption road in the future.

Since I'm also a fellow Central Illini and share in common the fact that we are both adopting children from Latin American countries, I hope our paths will one day cross.

Also, for future reference, there is a group of families in the Central IL are that have all adopted children from Latin American countries. We get together regularly so our children can stay in contact with other children from similar back grounds. I hope you'll be able to attend one of our gatherings sometime in the future.

I look forward to reading more about your time in Colombia.

Nicole said...

What a neat post, Julie. I am so thankful for how God is bonding your family. What wonderful parents God has blessed these three little cuties with. :) Happy Two Weeks with your family of five! I'm coninuing to lift you up in prayer.

Love,
Nicole